Summah Summah Summah Timeeee!
It is officially summer and I can finally kick back and relax! Being that this is my LAST “Thank God School is over and summer is here” I want to make sure I take advantage of my break. So to get in gear for this highly anticipated season I have compiled a list of “Summer Essentials” for that cute bag you will be toting around.
1. A camera- Any sort of point and shoot device is fine, but I prefer the kind of making sure the flash is off before putting it in your bag type disposable camera. Let’s be honest, Instagram is cool and all, but there is nothing like having an actual photograph to frame or put in a book of memories.
2. Sunscreen! The sun is all nice and dandy but those UV rays can definitely damage your skin. And just because you slapped on some sunscreen early this morning does not mean you are out of the woods. Sunscreen needs to be reapplied every few hours depending on the SPF number. The higher the number the lower number of times it needs to be reapplied.
3. A journal- Note that I did not say diary but a journal. Use it to jot down notes, thoughts, memories, numbers 😉 etc.
4. Umbrella ella ella- Just in case the weather starts being a bit bitchy.
5. Sunglasses- These are always a necessity no matter what time of the year it is.
6. Gum- Not only does it freshen your breath for that guy’s number you jotted down, but it also staves off the need to snack in between meals.
7. Chapstick- Preferably Burt’s Bees….just because I love them.
What’s in your summer bag?
Lately I’ve been trying to incorporate this Zen philosophy, in an effort to bring more positivity into my life.
OK listen don’t give me the “cut the crap Shawanda” face! This portion of my blog will be dedicated to anything that is on my wee little heart at the moment and it’s me sharing a little bit of my personal self. So enjoy!
Any who…where was I?
O yes! BREATHE.
I can’t tell you how many times I have felt like my head would explode from just thinking about sleep when I had a long list of tasks to do. Or that feeling of increasing frustration from outside forces, but life is too short. Cliché, I know, but nothing could be more true. We all have goals or dreams for our lives, but we should never have to compromise our happiness and/or health to reach that destination. However, I am not saying that there won’t be challenges because let me tell ya, life is no walk in the park!
Despite the hardballs life throws you, you should always take a break from that temporary chaos and just grab a moment to inhale and exhale. Take in the positivity of the possibilities, the future and balance and exhale to release all negativity.
Easier said than done right?
I must admit, it will take some time to make this a habit, so in the mean time here are some ways to keep this 7 letter word in the forefront of your brain:
- Post it! Literally take a post-it write BREATHE and stick it somewhere that it will catch your attention. I put one on the inside of my wardrobe and above my study desk. Don’t forget to do it whenever you see it!
- Declutter. I’m pretty positive that it will be much easier to breathe without that 2 day old gym sock lying around. Simplify your space. When my room is a mess, I know that something is out of balance. I remove the things I have been
holding onto for a later date hoarding and clean up to get some type of order
- Upset? Go for a walk. There is nothing like fresh air and an open mind. Here in NYC I wouldn’t say there are a million places for me to go to clear my head, but there are a few really good places. So go somewhere that doesn’t add to the madness and walk…and why look at that…..it’s a form of exercise too!