It is officially summer and I can finally kick back and relax! Being that this is my LAST “Thank God School is over and summer is here” I want to make sure I take advantage of my break. So to get in gear for this highly anticipated season I have compiled a list of “Summer Essentials” for that cute bag you will be toting around.
1. A camera- Any sort of point and shoot device is fine, but I prefer the kind of making sure the flash is off before putting it in your bag type disposable camera. Let’s be honest, Instagram is cool and all, but there is nothing like having an actual photograph to frame or put in a book of memories.
2. Sunscreen! The sun is all nice and dandy but those UV rays can definitely damage your skin. And just because you slapped on some sunscreen early this morning does not mean you are out of the woods. Sunscreen needs to be reapplied every few hours depending on the SPF number. The higher the number the lower number of times it needs to be reapplied.
3. A journal- Note that I did not say diary but a journal. Use it to jot down notes, thoughts, memories, numbers 😉 etc.
4. Umbrella ella ella- Just in case the weather starts being a bit bitchy.
5. Sunglasses- These are always a necessity no matter what time of the year it is.
6. Gum- Not only does it freshen your breath for that guy’s number you jotted down, but it also staves off the need to snack in between meals.
7. Chapstick- Preferably Burt’s Bees….just because I love them.
Since I have been back upstate I have come across a problem: Winter dryness
Winter is all fun and games until someone’s skin gets hurt!
As you all know I am from a place where winter does not exist, and the only protection for my skin that I need is sunscreen. However, I have obviously decided to torture myself by choosing to go to college in New York City and completely ignore that fact that I have never been in any weather less than 50 degrees fahrenheit.
Recently I have been looking for a facial oil to add to my skin care routine that wouldn’t empty my bank account and make me look likethe bottom of a Five Guys paper bag, and I came to the realization that no such facial oil exists. So before I spend an offensive amount of money on a beauty product, I will exhaust all other resources first.
Grandmother:Cocoa butter and Vaseline are not an option Grandma.
Mommy: Soap and water will not solve all of my issues lady.
Friends: They are in the same boat.
Google: When all else fails…
After spending a few minutes on google I might have just found the solution to my problem…and world peace:
100% Grape Seed Oil. Yes, plain ‘ol cooking oil!
Inexpensive (found in any local grocery store)
Doesn’t irritate skin
non-comedogenic (doesn’t clog pores)
Helps regulate natural oil production
The vitamin C aids in evening out complexion
I just dab a few drops of this on my face over my moisturizer, and it relieves my skin of any tight dry skin. If the cooking oil part is throwing you for a loop, you can try Caudalie Vinosource Nourishing Concentrate (That’s if you want to spend a little more, but honestly ain’t nobody got time for that.)